Thursday, October 9, 2008

Speaking of … ☼3


… when it might have been better not to ask:

A friend and I were walking along a busy city street having one of those conversations where you can only shout small stuff at each other because the noise is such that you can never really be sure of what you’re saying. I was telling this friend how I’d patched D’s jeans last night.

He looked at me and said, ‘What did you just say?’

I said, ‘I said I patched D’s jeans last night.’

‘Oh’ he said, ‘I thought you said you patched D’s dreams last night.’

Just keep mumbling is what I should have done. Then, my friend would have stopped, looked at me and just said really quietly, 'Wow!' I would have taken it in my stride, kept walking and mumbling and let the city noise of cars, and construction, and people shopping their guts out make the conversation all the more interesting.

No comments: